A right royal knees-up - Asda predicting Jubilee sales boom
- Asda predicts biggest sales weekend of the year so far
- Sales set to heat up as Jubilee fever grips the nation
- Brits stocking up on everything from Victoria sponges to Union Jack bunting
With Jubilee fever in full swing and Britain stocking up for street parties and family get-togethers, Asda has revealed predictions for the expected boom in sales of products ‘fit for a Queen’ as the nation celebrates 60 years of her majesty’s reign.
With a massive 78% of the UK population planning to indulge in a Jubilee themed party and a four day holiday to boot, experts are predicting that spending over the jubilee weekend is set to double that spent on last year’s royal wedding.
And as shoppers dust off those party frocks, Asda is predicting a huge boost to its sales and in the lead up to the Jubilee is expecting to sell the following:
Food and drink:
- 600,000 Butcher’s Selection Burgers up a staggering 666%!
- 800,000 Butcher’s Selection Ribs up by 325% on a normal weekend
- 175,000 doughnuts
- 2.8 million Victoria sponges up 52% since last year
- Over 1 million cucumbers to create the Queen’s favourite sandwiches
- 38,000 slices of its in-store café Jubilee cake
- A 75% increase in sales of Pimms
- Nearly 5,000 Chosen by you, limited edition Coronation Chicken sandwiches
- Over 20,000 tray bakes
- Wine and champagne sales are rocketing with Champagne Dubois Caron at £12 and Chapel Down English Sparkling Brut at £15 expected to sell over 1 million bottles!
- Over 10,000 red Union Jack cushions
- 9,000 King & Queen Pillowcases
- 20,000 Jubilee commemorative tea cups, saucers, mugs and plates
- 40,000 Asda Jubilee gift cards
- Enough flags to cover every square metre of Wembley stadium football pitch….462 times (1,000,000)
- Enough bunting to stretch from London to Manchester (270,000 metres)
- Enough charcoal briquettes for 1 million barbecues
- Asda’s Union Jack duvet sets have already sold out in all 3 sizes!
George at Asda:
- Enough Queenie inspired dresses to dress the female royals 1000 times over
- Enough Union Jack t-shirts to clothe every cab driver in London (18,000)
- Union Jack socks are selling at an average rate of more than 20 pairs per minute
- Red white and blue clothing is already flying off the shelves including Union Jack onesies, maxi dresses and corgi t-shirts and as we go into the weekend, sales are expected to take off!
Shoppers are definitely getting into the jubilee spirit – this weekend saw the best sales of the year so far at George with jubilee themed clothing, kidswear and accessories all hitting the spot with customers.
An Asda spokesperson commented: “We have already noticed huge demand from customers gripped by jubilee fever and things look set to get even busier as we head into the weekend. As the nation gears up for a right royal knees up, Asda is expecting their busiest weekend of the year so far.”
To find your nearest store visit www.asda.com
Other expected Jubilee sales figures include:
- Bakewell tarts up 18%
- Fruit teacakes up 25%
- Mini-rolls up 31%
- A 60% increase in sales of Ice Cream Cupcakes
- A 300% increase in sales of Melton Mowbray pork pies
- 5,000 Charcoal Union Jack cushions
- 2.5 million packs of crumpets
- 800,000 packs of scones
- Enough commemorative tea towels to provide for the entire population of Windsor (37,765)