With a year to go until the General Election and policy development now well under way, we wanted to share our views on what we at Asda think the Government could do to stimulate growth and investment in the UK, as well as giving customers more money in their pockets at the end of the month. This document is our contribution to the public policy making process, based on our knowledge and expertise of the issues and Departments which affect the retail sector.
We have provided forty-four recommendations in three sections that are designed to achieve three goals:
- Create an efficient, effective and affordable regulatory environment for businesses to operate in
- Ensure the Government helps businesses to exploit opportunities for growth and investment in the UK economy
- Reduce costs for customers, providing a boost to their spending power
Whilst we appreciate that not all of these policies will be achieved over night, we have honed in on what we call our four fundamentals – the four key pillars which we think will make a real difference to both businesses and customers in the UK:
- Reform of the existing business rates system
- Raising of the Personal Tax Allowance in line with a full-time salary on the National Minimum Wage
- Committing to freezing fuel duty until the end of the next Parliament
- Relaxing Sunday Trading restrictions
Download the full report here.