Praise for our wine selection - great quality at great prices
We work closely with our wine suppliers to bring you excellent quality wines at great prices – and every week they get rave reviews.
Richard Hemming, writing on leading wine website jancisrobinson.com, says: “The wine range at Asda… achieves the apparently impossible, for there are perfectly respectable bottles here priced as low as £3.67.”
And wine writer Peter Turner loves our Fiano, a dry white from southern Italy. Writing shortly after Italy’s victory over England in Euro 2012 he says: “So to go with the Andrea Pirlo penalty, here’s another thing of beauty from Italy. It’s a mixture of hedgerow, lemon and passionfruit – a really lovely drop, interesting and refreshing and unlike the Italian master’s spot kick it won’t leave a nasty taste in the mouth.”
Getting great wines on to the shelves at great prices is the responsibility of wine selection manager Philippa Carr – one of only around 300 Masters of Wine in the world – who says she and her team take the job “very seriously”.
She says: "The customers are at the heart of everything we do with wine – it’s in our DNA. We do a lot of research and are always listening to what our customers want.
“The wine aisle can still be quite daunting. We’ve done lots of research into this with our customers and are always looking for ways we can point them in the direction of a new favourite.”
We’ve recently added more European wines to our range by working closely with our suppliers, particularly in France, Italy and Spain – here’s a few you might like to try.
Philippa Carr’s top wines:
- Extra Special Old Vines Garnacha “A gorgeously juicy red – brilliant with barbecued meats (if we had the weather!)”
- La Perla del Priorat, Noster Nobilis 2007 Priorat “Mostly made from Garnacha a big, bold, beefy wine jam-packed with ripe fruitiness. A serious wine, indeed.”
- Les Estivales Rose “A Shiraz/Grenache blend from the south of France – bring on the sunshine! Dry, fruity and refreshingly easy drinking. Great with salads or Mediterranean dishes.”
- Le Grand Clauzy Merlot “This red from the sunny vineyards of the Languedoc region of southern France is so fruity, so smooth is could be sinful… Bags of berry flavours make a brilliant match to barbecues.”
- Etoile de Nuit Sauvignon Blanc “If you think Sauvignon is just from New Zealand..or Chile, think again! This vibrantly fresh white from Gascony in western france is everything a Sauvignon Blanc should be: citrussy and crisp and the perfect choice with salads or fish dishes.”
- Three Choirs Regalia “Exclusive to Asda. Katie Thompson, Wine Selector, worked with their winemaker to create our very own wine. Lovely and perfumed and not too dry, this is the perfect summer wine and the inspired choice to have with picnics. Also perfect when watching Wimbledon or when cheering on TeamGB!”