Charlie visits the Chocolate Factory to see how Easter Eggs are made
When five-year-old Charlie Wakelin wrote a letter asking us how we make our Easter eggs “taste so brilliant”, we knew there was only one thing to do … invite Charlie to our Chocolate Factory!
Our very own Willy Wonka – Asda chocolate developer Helen Cook – teamed up with the Easter Bunny to arrange an extra special behind-the-scenes tour for Charlie and his grandad Alan.
And Charlie got the chance to put the finishing touches to some of the 40 million chocolate treats our customers will be enjoying this weekend – you can see more of our amazing Easter statistics below.
Instead of Oompa Loompas, the hi-tech chocolate factory in Birmingham uses robots to mix up some of the 115 tonnes of chocolate that goes into Asda Easter eggs.
Charlie and his grandad watched the huge machines pouring chocolate and honeycomb into a mould, spinning the delicious mixture round and then cooling it.
Charlie helped to hand-finish some of our Extra Special Belgian Milk Chocolate & Honeycomb Easter eggs, brushing edible gold dust on to them, before they were shipped to Asda stores across the UK.
In his letter to ‘Mr or Mrs Asda’, Charlie said he was the biggest fan of Easter eggs in the world.
Helen, our Confectionery Product Development Manager, said: “When we received Charlie’s letter we thought it showed great initiative as well as being absolutely wonderful to read.”
The Walkers Chocolates factory in Birmingham has been making high-quality Easter eggs and other seasonal treats for more than 30 years.
Technical manager Dean Hardie, who took Charlie and Alan on the tour, said: “Charlie was brilliant – he was a bit shy to start with as I don’t think he could believe his eyes. It was a pleasure to share some of the magic that goes on behind the closed doors of our chocolate factory.”
Does Helen, who tastes chocolate for us all year round, have the best job in the world? We chatted to her to find out.
Here’s a flavour of just how big Easter is for our customers at Asda:
• More than 42 million Hot Cross Buns will be sliced, toasted and buttered by Sunday
• 2.4 million Bunny Crumpets will have hopped out of toasters
• 2.2 million Asda Egg Hunt Kits will go into action as little ones see what the Easter Bunny’s brought
• A whopping 115 tonnes of chocolate or 40 million treats will be enjoyed over the weekend
• 75,000 Extra Special Easter eggs will have flown off the shelves
• And here’s a much smaller number … you can pick up UK-sourced seasonal veg including carrots, parsnips, leeks, spring greens and swede for just 20p at Asda this weekend.