Wow your Jubilee party guests with this amazing Union Jack Tart
This spectacular Union Jack tart – featured on the front cover of the new edition of Asda Magazine – is guaranteed to add the “wow” factor to your Jubilee party table.
Here’s how to make it:
Ingredients (serves 12):
225g butter, in small cubes, plus extra for greasing
350g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
50g icing sugar, plus 2tbsp for the mascarpone
2 egg yolks
4tbsp redcurrant jelly (optional)
1/4tsp vanilla extract
225g reduced fat creme fraiche
250-400g strawberries, depending on if they’re halved, green tops removed
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas5. Lightly grease a 33 × 23cm shallow tin with butter and line the base with baking paper
2. Sift the flour with a pinch of salt. Rub the butter into the flour, using your fingertips, until it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in 50g icing sugar.
3. Mix the yolks with 3tbsp cold water and add to the flour mixture to make a stiff dough. You may need more water – add a teaspoon at a time. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 2cm larger than the tin. Carefully transfer to the tin using the rolling pin. Press into the corners and sides. Prick the base with a fork. Chill for 30 minutes.
4 Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and rice or beans and bake for 8 minutes. Cool.
5. Melt the jelly, if using, in a small pan and brush over the inside of the pastry case. Leave to set for 10 minutes.
6. Mix the mascarpone with the vanilla, creme fraiche and remaining icing sugar and spread inside the pastry case.
7. Arrange the berries, as above, to make a Union Jack.
Serve – and wait for your guests to go “Wow!”