More awards...we just keep on winning!!
Last week saw the 113th Nantwich Cheese Awards, held in Dorfold Park in Nantwich, Cheshire. Itâ€™s the largest cheese show in the world with over 3,200 cheeses entered for judging in this year’s competition – and as such is now known as the Interntional Cheese Awards.
Each year Gold, Silver and Bronze awards are given to the best-tasting cheeses in the industry and there are also 23 coveted retailer classes with record entries this year…and guess what Asda were busy winning awards again.
We left with a tally of 22 awards this year in the Retailer Classes – 6 Golds, 5 Silvers, 4 Bronzes and 7 Highly Commended.
The GOLD awards winners were:
- Extra Special Farmhouse Somerset Vintage Cheddar
- Extra Special Parmigiano Reggiano
- Extra Special Extra Mature Gouda
- ASDA Brand Organic Goats Cheese
- ASDA Brand Mozzarella with Basil
- ASDA Brand Whipping Cream
The SILVER award winners were :
- Extra Special Afon Cleddau Extra Mature Cheddar
- ASDA Brand Cheshire
- ASDA Brand Organic Mild White Cheddar
- ASDA Brand Greek Feta
- ASDA Brand Greek Style Yoghurt
The BRONZE award winners were:
- ASDA Deli Farmhouse Somerset Mild Coloured Cheddar
- ASDA Deli Summer Stilton (this is the Customer Competition Winner)
- ASDA Brand Austrian Smoked Cheese
- ASDA Brand Single Cream
…and finally we got HIGHLY COMMENDED for :
- ASDA Brand Deli 15 Month Matured Somerset Vintage Cheddar
- ASDA Brand Stilton
- ASDA Brand Deli Wensleydale and Cranberries
- ASDA Brand Feta Cubes in Greek Olive Oil and Herbs
- ASDA Brand Creamery Salted Butter
- ASDA Brand Probiotic Natural Yoghurt
- ASDA Brand Natural Greek Style Yoghurt With Honey
Wow!! What was really exciting was that the ‘Summer Stilton’ (our customer competition winner) won Bronze in the retailer class and won a gold in the general classes as it was entered by the supplier – we were all over the moon with this result.
In celebration we have worked up some great recipes for you to use the Summer Stilton in. I thought I’d share one with you today so you can use our award winning cheese on more than just a cheeseboard…enjoy!
Summer Stilton Cheesecake
225g ASDA Brand digestive biscuits (crushed) 100g
ASDA unsalted butter 500g Summer Stilton cheese Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 chopped peach (fresh or tinned)
50g icing sugar
2 eggs (separated)
150g whipping cream
1. Make biscuit base â€“ melt butter and mix together with biscuits and press into greased 8â€ flan dish.
2. Bake in oven at 180â€™C/gas 4 for 10 mins, then remove from oven.
3. Mix together cheese, zest, juice and peach.
4. Add sugar and beaten egg yolks.
5. Lightly whip cream and fold into mixture.
6. Whisk egg whites and fold into mixture.
7. Pour onto biscuit base and bake at 180â€™C/gas 4 for 30 mins or until set
8. Chill before serving.
Serve with a fresh sauce made from pureed orange and peach.
Dairy Dawn XXX